Monday, April 30, 2012

Guess I'll Have to Be a "Gig 'em" Girl Now



It's hard to believe that I've already been home from Rwanda a month. It has gone by fast, and I've been busy. We arrived back in Kansas City on Sunday evening, April 1st, and I spent much of the night (after dinner with my husband, kids and parents) doing laundry and cleaning house! We left the next morning for College Station, Texas to search for an apartment for Cait, my daughter, who will be starting grad school at Texas A&M in the fall. No rest for the weary!

Cait will be attending the Bush School at A&M. The picture above is a sculpture outside the Bush Library and School. It is horses (obviously) jumping over a section of the Berlin Wall. Beautiful piece!


This bust of President George Bush was just inside the front doors of the school. I had to share it because I love the quote under it! I believe people can make a difference not only on a local and national level, but also on an international level, so this certainly resonates with me! I hope Cait is beginning a journey that will be her venue for making a difference in her world. I guess for the next two years I'll have to be a "gig 'em" girl as a Texas A&M mom! Not to fear, MIZZOU, I'll always be loyal to you, though! After all, isn't it better that I "gig 'em" instead of "rock chalking them"? ;-)

We had a whirlwind trip in Texas, but were successful in finding a perfect apartment....and one that will take Cait's "pony" AKA Aerial, the Great Dane! Everybody was so nice and quite helpful, and I am looking forward to having her a little bit closer to home! Okay, she'll still be a 12 hour drive away, but it's better than 16 hours! She'll also have family close if she needs someone. My cousin, Michelle, and her husband are just a couple of hours away in Kady (near Houston), so that gives me a measure of comfort.

After the whole Texas trip, I had to return to the reality of life...my paying job! What a culture shock after being gone for almost three weeks! It is good to be home, though, and I missed my life at KU. I do love my down time, but I find that it's always good to return to the babies I love and the coworkers who have become a second family!

No comments:

Post a Comment