Thursday, December 8, 2011

Turning My Heart Toward "Home"

Today my dear friend leaves for Rwanda on a mission of the heart. She has asked me not to give details of her trip to honor the privacy of another, and I will....but I just wanted her to know I am thinking of them both and sending much love their way. I am also a little teary, partly I'm sure because I am tired.....coming off a three night stretch at work....and partly because news of her impromptu travel has had the effect of turning my own heart toward Rwanda.
My friend and I both fell in love with Rwanda on the same trip back in March 2008....in fact, it's where we met as well and have been fast friends ever since. I think of her as a sister....the one I never had.

As I think of her today, and reflect on the reason for this journey, I am reminded of why she holds a dear place in my heart. It's all about friendship....real friendship. The kind that travels half way around the world at a moment's notice because you need me friendship. That kind of friendship is rare, and certainly to be treasured. I soooo wish I could be traveling with her....we have so much to discuss, and I am concerned. Our paths came together in this country, and our hearts have kept us returning here. Each of us on a different path in this place we love, but always intersecting at places we both are drawn to...places that have also become "home" to us.

So, as I sit here today thinking of her and of our friends and "family" in Rwanda, I say this: "Godspeed, my sister/friend. Take care of those we love....and take care of yourself because you are dear to me and we are linked in places in our hearts that are vital to our very existence. Much love and prayers go with you....and remember I am only a phone call or email away!"

No comments:

Post a Comment