Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Things That Matter Most.....

I had dinner tonight with those I love most in this world....my parents, my husband and my kids. Tomorrow Cait and I will be leaving once again for Rwanda in east central Africa. It will be my sixth trip and her third. My home looks like a tornado went through from the front door all the way to Cait's room. Luggage and clothing are in piles everywhere. I lost count of how many times I have packed and repacked my bags. How can the same things weigh different amounts every time?!? Cait is making fun of me, but in my defense I am using my one free checked bag for all of our training materials which leaves me with my one carry on of 13 lbs or less for my clothes etc. I must say I'm rather proud of the fact that I have clothes, shoes and personal items in one backpack....enough for 10 in-country days and two travel days! Sigh...but it weighs 15 lbs. I'm hoping it won't get weighed! The training materials are a bit over the 50 lb mark, too, but I think we can add some learner manuals to Cait's checked bag to even things out.

Amidst the angst of packing, I have discovered the things that matter most. Not the training materials but the knowledge we bring. Knowing that the actions we teach in that "Golden Minute" after an infant's birth can mean the difference between life and death....can impact the world's infant mortality rates! Not the letter of endorsement I bring with me from the president of the Council of International Neonatal Nurses for the Rwandan Ministry of Health to lend credibility to our efforts, but the generous act of taking the time out of her busy schedule to write the letter and make sure it reached me before my departure....and her support along the way.

The other thing that has meant a lot to me in the days before our departure is the excitement of my friends and colleagues. Not just of those traveling with me, but our entire unit. We have been given so much encouragement and so many well-wishes from all of our colleagues. It is very gratifying to know how much support there is in our NICU family, and we are a "family"...warts and all! Celebrating highs, commiserating lows...always there to lend an ear, a shoulder, or a willing pair of hands. When the day is done, what more could you ask for than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment