Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Another Lesson at the School of Hard Knocks

So, here we are just one week from our departure for Rwanda to start trainings in the Helping Babies Breathe program, and I receive an email from Michael whose subject line is : Gisenyi situation serious. Uh-oh. This can't be good, right?!? Right. Apparently there is a prevailing expectation among some Rwandans that when free trainings are offered they will receive payment for their travel expenses (aka taxi or bus fare, lunch, and perhaps even a per diem). Who knew?!? Not me! AND the Gisenyi hospital doesn't have a suitable space for trainings, so a local hotel will cost $1700 for a conference room. Look up dumbfounded in the dictionary....got it? Yeah, the picture is me.

Yet another lesson at the School of Hard Knocks. You'd think I would have learned by now....after all, I AM in the Master's program there! Apparently I am entering the PhD phase. Well, we obviously can't afford that. Have I mentioned that we're (One Good Deed) a grassroots organization (translated "dirt poor") that is all volunteer (translated no pay and you pay your own travel expenses), and now that I cancelled the business phone a few months ago, we truly give 100% of our donations to the projects we support? I have been committed to this from the beginning because I never want to be one of those non-profits who find themselves plastered all over the news due to "questionable use of funds." Sigh. My commitment has not wavered. I will not, cannot justify the expense! So....what to do?

God bless Michael and the Eos Visions team in Rwanda! They are already on it and have already composed a list of possibilities for me to consider. (because Michael already has a PhD--from a real school, and most likely one from the school of hard knocks as well!) So, I will go forward...a little wiser, a bit disappointed, still committed, and I will live to fight another day! It isn't the education I might have had from a "real" school, but you know, I kind of think the School of Hard Knocks provides me with an invaluable education that, at times can be costly, but is worth more in "real" life than any degree from any institution on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment