Thursday, October 27, 2011

Some Folks I Know.......

It's time for me to introduce you to some of the people in my life who have been very instrumental in making my extraordinary dream a reality. I'm not sure really where to begin because I'm not sure where the true beginning is. I guess first would be with my own children, now adults themselves, who first got me involved in volunteerism through their own volunteering. They are, and always will be, my heroes.

Both of my kids had requirements in high school that started them on their paths to volunteerism. My son, Matt, continued his path in college where he worked as a volunteer fireman. During hurricane Katrina he went with the Rolla Rural Volunteer Fire Department to Louisiana where they helped with recovery and clean up. He pursued this path further by becoming a paramedic.


My daughter, Cait, was active throughout high school and college with Habitat for Humanity. She also traveled with People to People Student Ambassador Programs which sparked her interest in international activities. She has joined me on two trips to Rwanda and continues to remain actively involved in One Good Deed's activities.



My husband, Steve, has become my biggest supporter and champion. He has been to Rwanda with me and also shares my love for this country and the people. He's the one who has taken on the worrying over my rather impressive credit card balance so I can simply think about it!




Of course I have to include Michael. He, too, is my champion and also my mentor. He came to Rwanda for very different reasons than I, but we both share the same love for the people and the country. Without him, I would have no direction and would probably have given up long ago.

Along with Michael is Cecile. I first met Cecile in 2008 on that first trip to Rwanda. She was an intern in Michael's company and our group was her first delegation. She has been my friend and supporter ever since. This young woman has a passion for her country and her people that is unmatched, and she has given me so much insight into Rwanda's past and she has so much hope for Rwanda's future. I was having a hard time choosing a photo of Cecile, in part because she is so beautiful it's hard to narrow down the great photos of her, but I decided this one of her with Rwanda's  President Kigame was fitting.

There are so many more people I could share with you....and I will in good time, but these are the ones who have been key to making my dream a reality. Without them, there would be no One Good Deed and though I would still be an ordinary gal, I wouldn't be realizing my extraordinary dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment